Professional soapmaking with SAIPUA soap-maker Susan Ryhanen
In this intensive, hands-on workshop you will create your own batch of olive oil soap using the same recipe we use here at SAIPUA while learning the basic principles of the cold-processed method. Instruction and demonstration of soapmaking techniques will be followed by each student making their own batch of soap. You’ll blend your own fragrance and decide upon your own natural botanical additives. In addition, there will be discussion of how to package and sell your own soap, if you’re interested in starting a business.
Each student will be given the following tools to use in class AND to take home:
- One of SAIPUA's handmade 3 lb. wooden soap molds
- A soap mixing bucket
- An electric 'stick blender' (so critical for making soap without hand stirring for hours)
- Safety goggles (an important part of soapmaking)
- A complete list of suppliers where you can mail-order supplies like essential oils and various butters and natural additives
- Recipes for making additional soaps
- Access to Susan by email or phone with questions after the workshop
The idea behind the course is to empower students to make their own soap at home afterwards. Tickets are final sale and non-refundable. Price includes 8.875% NY state sales tax.
May 7, 2017 | Sunday from 1PM to 5 PM
Location: Saipua Studio, 177 Dwight St., Brooklyn